It is challenging to go beyond 3-5 years for a small business – only 35% succeed. However with training and resources, 80-90% succeed beyond 5 years.
SMARTstart not only is a training program – it is a community builder!
Creating a community that supports entrepreneurs leads to new businesses starting and expanding – a key part of your business sector growth. Studies have shown that small business is the driver for the economy. For every 100 jobs created in the private sector:
- 55 jobs will be created by the expansion of existing local businesses
- 44 jobs will be created by new start-up companies
- 1 new job will be created by a greenfield corporate relocation
SMARTstart is a big commitment – with big rewards!
However, you will not be alone, the SMARTstart program manager will support and guide you along the way. We have put SMARTstart ‘in-a-box’ so that other communities can use what has been created and not start from scratch. We have created infrastructure that includes the following:
- Marketing – brand and strategy
- Website landing page
- Program processes
- Procedures & policies
- Committee roles
- Surveys to track growth (immediate, I year up to 5 years)
- Evaluations (workshops, general program)
… plus multiple years of experience!
- Measurable results
- Increases awareness/profile of local resources that each partner provides
- Creates a connection between established and new businesses
- Builds a tool box of resources and support for the new business
- Fosters a close knit entrepreneurial community that continues beyond the program and grows each year
SMARTstart Airdrie program results from 2014-2020:
|Status at End of Program||Participants||%|
|Idea on Hold||14||11%|
|Idea in Development||13||11%|
|Started a Business||21||17%|